Ask an expert

13 Oct 2009

I work for a small company and my boss has since resigned. There will be no work for me when he leaves and he' s advised me that the company do not want to carry the costs of my employment. I understand all that. But there has been no communication from the company' s side and in light of this I' ve decided to find about job because I dont want to wait and have them give me a month' s notice instead of following the retrenchment process and I' d only be getting one week' s salary in any case. If I should find another position, what kind of notice would I have to give them?
Answer 2,832 views
Labour lawyer
labour lawyer

01 Jan 0001


You need to give notice in terms of the Basic Conditions of Employment Act. This notice depends on how long you've been with the Company. Please note the following:
a/ One weeks notice for service of 6 months or less and b/ two weeks notice for service of more than 6 months but not more than one year and c/ four weeks notice if the employee has been employed for one year or more or is a farm or domestic worker of more than six months.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.