Ask an expert

26 Jul 2010

Unfair dismissal

My boss came to me and told me that he wants me to leave the employ of the company and resign now, becasue in a couple of months they will retrench me along with others in our company.

He told me he cannot work with me anymore and doesnt trust the work I produce for him.

Ive been there 5 years, no disciplinary, no warnings, no nothing ever! Now this all of a sudden out the blue.

I feel totally mistreated and confused about where all of this comes from. Ive got no settlement document yet or any ''legal'' notifications or anything and its been about a week since he came and told me this news.

What rights and recourses do I have?

Thank you
Answer 314 views
Labour lawyer
Labour lawyer

01 Jan 0001


You certainly should not resign in these circumstances,should your employer wish to take any action then it is up to them. If you feel that you've been unfairly dismissed then you ceertainly have recourse to either approach the CCMA or the Bargaining Council.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9438 votes
68% - 20025 votes