Ask an expert

03 Aug 2010

i am 43years old, became fittness trainer 1yr ago. while doing pushup 2weeks ago i felt sudded sharp pain in shoulder, now constant pain. if i lift arm forward it''s verypainfull. To lift arm higher than my shoulder with least amount of pain i have to rotate it slightly to the back and then up. The pain is located more to the front part of shoulder but sometimes so " hot"  and painfull it feels as if it''s in the joint. Which type of doc do i see for this problem. are orthopaedic surgeons just for joints and bones or do they treat muscle injuries too? thanks
Answer 387 views
Orthopaedic Specialist Forum
Orthopaedic Specialist Forum

01 Jan 0001

Dear Beaty,

The person to see is an orthopedic surgeon with an interest in shoulder problems. I am not sure where you live but you should find a person like that close to you . The injury you describe could be a injury to the long head of the biceps inside the shoulder joint or even a rotator cuff tear.

Do have a look at our website: and you will find more detail about the specific injury on the site.


Dr Joe de Beer
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9433 votes
68% - 19972 votes