Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
21 Jul 2005
Is there no other medication available that contains disulfiram.??
There are various options available in treating alcoholism, including Antabuse (disulfiram which is an an‘aversive agent’ and has little effect on craving and leads to, amongst others, nausea after alcohol consumption) and Besobrial (Acamprosate, adrug that appears to decrease the desire for alcohol). Various other options are also available, but most of these drugs are available on prescription only. I'm not aware of any generic of Antabuse that is currently available.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Low risk of third Covid wave in SA, but country still ‘highly vulnerable’, Wits AI model suggests
- Some form of long-term symptom lingers in one in 10 who had mild Covid-19, new study finds
- New research shows South Africa’s levy on sugar-sweetened drinks is having an impact
- SEE: Woman’s nose collapses due to rare autoimmune disorder
- Covid-19: Men create more antibodies after asymptomatic infections and keep them for longer – new research
- There’s 'nothing special' about it: JSC feels 'no pressure' to finalise John Hlophe matter
- Will the ANCYL's new task team be able to fix the youth wing?
- 'My heart broke in half' - Miguel Louw's mother, sister speak of their emotional turmoil
- ANC ward meeting marred by pandemonium and violence as pangas fly
- Some members of committee tasked with re-establishing ANC youth wing tainted, warns analyst
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9428 votes
68% - 19896 votes