Ask an expert

14 Jul 2005

What treatment can you please recommend for cerboric dermatitis on my face. With what can I wash my face? I use acquas cream, but my face is still red and blotchy.
Answer 807 views

01 Jan 0001


Let me start of by asking if your condition has been diagnosed by a dermatologist or doctor. If not, I'd recommend speaking to one for a definite diagnosis. If not properly diagnosed, the use of some products may worsen your condition.

Treatment of Seborrheic Dermatitis (which can occur all over the body) may include the use of antifungal preparations (e.g. selenium) or anti-inflammatory agents such as topical corticosteroids (e.g. 1 % hydrocortisone cream). In severe cases coal tar can be used to remove dense scales, but this should be used with caution on the face as it may cause irritation. Some also find the use of an emollient such as Nutraplus effective.

In your case I'd recommend using a hydrocortisone cream (you can even mix it with and equal amount of aqueous cream) twice a day. Do not use soap to wash the face with - Use Aquabar instead.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9380 votes
67% - 19432 votes