Ask an expert

12 Jul 2010

generic medication substitution
Could u please assist,

is it illegal to replace Heart Medication with generic heart medication.?

My cardiologist says the medical aid may not substitute a original medication with a generic, as this is a criminal offence??
Answer 436 views

01 Jan 0001

Hi Ann

I'm not sure that it is a criminal offence as such, but ultimately the choice of generic substitution should be made by you - No one may force you into taking a generic if you are not comfortable with it. Your medical aid should instead offer you the option of paying in the difference in price.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.