Question

Sperm "leaking" out after sex : does this affect conception?
Hi Dr Would appreciate an answer to my question : We've been trying to conceive 5 years now - the issue is, everytime after making love my husband's semen seems to "leak" out of me for an hour or two afterwards - I never experienced this in any other relationships. Could his sperm still reach my egg or does this leakage mean that its not swimming up and just leaking out. How does this affect conception?

03 Sep 2013

Sperm leakage from the vagina is normal and to be expected when there is enough of the ejaculate. Sperm leakage means there is enough of the ejaculate.
Most women notice some discharge immediately after sex and some think it's the cause of infertility. The fluid coming out of the vagina after his orgasm is a portion of the ejaculate. But less than 5% of the ejaculate is actually sperm -- over 95% is made up of other fluids. Leakage of the ejaculate from the vagina is highly unlikely to prevent you from getting pregnant. In fact, it's totally normal for some of the ejaculate to come out of your vagina after intercourse. If he ejaculates deeply inside you, then you can be sure that no matter how much of the ejaculate leaks out afterward, enough sperm will reach the cervical mucus. If you stay on your back for the suggested 15-20 minutes after intercourse, hips slightly elevated, this leakage of the ejaculate is usually not a cause of infertility.

Answered by Dr Cassim