Ask an expert

21 Jul 2005

Support for spouses
Where do I find support groups for the spouses? Are there any?
Answer 395 views
Transgender advisor
sex change guest expert

01 Jan 0001

Dear Mary,

I tried to search "budding Rose on the web, and could not find any info, hopefully if any member of them reads this they can come to the rescue. My assumption is that they are in Jo'burg - I'm not sure though, and also clueless as to partners.

In Cape Town, at Triangle Project is a support group, for transgender people, but not including partners at all, as they want to create a save space for the transfolk.

Also in Cape Town, another support group started, for trans people and their partners, alternatively one month the trans members only, the alternating month open to soffa's (significent others, friends, family and others) To find out more about that you can mail

As far as I know, there is no other support groups in SA for partners.

A very good option to also try out is to search FTM international. An excellent web site, one can join as member, and they also has a space for partners. FTMsoffa's (FTM is for female to male though - I'm sure if you search on the net you will find similar sites for MTF aswell)
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9360 votes
67% - 19293 votes