Ask an expert

28 Jul 2008

Taking the first step
Hello everyone.

I' m Maria. I' m 19 years old and I' ve been talking and thinking of gender reassignment for quite a while now. I' m really a woman, but biologically still a man. I' m so nervous i can' t even type right.

Where do I begin? Ive always seen myself as a girl/woman. I' ve never really felt like a man. When I was 17 I told my parents I' m gay. My preliminary reasearch found that many gay people will think they' d like to be a woman/man so they can be with a heterosexual they fell in love with. That was my preliminary thoughts and conclusion on the matter. However...

I preffer if people adress me as Maria. I' ve been considering changing my name in such a manner that my initials can stay the same. Furthermore, I' ve been dying to wear women' s clothes in public so that I can express to the rest of the world how I see myself. The other motif for that is so that boys can see me and might think I' m a girl and talk and maybe even ask me out. Other things like dreams, sexual fantasies etc. confirm this.

So my question is: How does one go about applying or getting, for want of a better term, a sex change? Besides cutting of my penis, i see no other alternative than to have an operation. Can somebody please help me.

I know this does not only affect me, but my whole family. And all of my friends. I' m scared, but I know I have to do my thinking and research before I attempt suicide again. i' ve had for atempts in the last six months.

So if anyone can give any advice, I would gladly appreciate it.

Answer 702 views
Transgender advisor
Transgender Advisor

01 Jan 0001


The procedure to follow in order to have gender reassignment is as follows. You need to first go see a psychologist who will evaluate you and determine whether you are transsexual or some other variation of transgendered. From there the psychologist will refer you to other medical professionals who will then take you through the process of transitioning.

You will have to live in the gender of your choice for at least 6 months to 2 years before they will perform any surgery. This is known as the real life test. This is to ensure that you are comfortable in the gender of your choice and that you have fully integrated into society.

If you would like more info please go to where it says "Who is the transgender advisor?" near the top of this page. Click on the link and follow the link to the Gender DynamiX website were you can find more resources. You can also contact Gender DynamiX and they can refer you to a psychologist in your region.

Transgender Advisor
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9371 votes
67% - 19385 votes