Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
14 Oct 2009
Clitoris is swollen for days
I am seventeen, and I seem to be having a problem, though it occurs somewhat sporadically. My boyfriend fingers me, but I never have an orgasm, and afterwards, the swelling of my clitoris is supposed to go down, right? I have had a swollen clitoris for up to three days, with the swelling very slowly diminishing over the course of time. I don' t think this is supposed to happen, and it proves to be very uncomfortable — any time I bump into anything, it' s like a shock wave. Please help.
There are a number of possibilities, the most likely of which is hyperstimulation - or too much stimulation of the clitoris causing irritation. This would be made worse if you are not sufficiently aroused/lubricated (a dry finger on rubbed repeatedly over the clitoris would really irritate it). This might account for the lack of orgasm (pleasure turns to irritation) and sensitivity when wearing tight fitting clothes/jeans etc. However, there is another possibility and this would be a condition known as priapism of the clitoris (men can get priapism which is where their penis remains hard for more than 3 hours and this can cause damage to the tissue - it is considered a medical emergency; very rare in women but possible). You should have this checked out; if this happens again, go to your doctor or the emergency room as you don't want permanent damage to the clitoris.
If it is the first one - too much stimulation, both you and your boyfriend need to learn how to stimul
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- J&J Covid-19 vaccine: Are blood clots and the pausing of SA’s rollout a cause for major concern?
- How to make sense of nutrition labels
- Some form of long-term symptom lingers in one in 10 who had mild Covid-19, new study finds
- SEE: Woman’s nose collapses due to rare autoimmune disorder
- HIV and cervical cancer: Behind SA’s extraordinarily high numbers
- 'Hlophe should not only be impeached, he should be put in prison' - Kriegler
- Family finally gets justice 10 years after their three-year-old boy drowned at a North West lodge
- Meet Soweto's 'cemetery navigators' - the men attending to dilapidated graves
- High risks or picky banks: Why is microfinance not taking off in SA?
- SATURDAY PROFILE | Judge Dennis Davis: ‘To accuse the judiciary of being captured is outrageous’
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9433 votes
68% - 19981 votes