Ask an expert

10 Jun 2011

I have erection problems. What can I do?
where can i get help
Answer 408 views

01 Jan 0001

Erectile problems may occur for a number of possible reasons, the most problematic of all could be serious health issues and so you need to have a physical check up - even though you have healthy nocturnal erections, it is worth excluding serious physcial problems (this could include cardiovascular difficulties - so don't mess with this, have a physical check up!)

If all is well on the physical front, it is likely that the difficulty is explained by a psychological block - e.g. fear of sexual failure/poor performance (e.g. losing erection, ejaculating too quickly, partner is not orgasmic or has pain during sex); anger at partner. Psychological factors like this essentially block the normal working of the sexual response and can be addressed through couple work with an experienced professional.

There are treatment options for ED - both pharmaceutical and psychosexual - why not consider some of these option together to see how this can be addressed. It is common that when one partner experiences sexual difficulty the overall intimacy in the relationship declines - this only makes matters worse.

As a first recommendation - have a physical check up by GP and tell him/her about your erection difficulties at the beginning of the consultation (not as a last comment as many men do!) so that his/her assessment is geared towards this issue. If you gets the all clear, then go to see a health professional with experience in this area.
Contact the SASHA (South African Sexual Health Association) helpline Tel -0860 100 262 for referral.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.