Ask an expert

01 Dec 2004

Our Sex
My boyfriend of 4 months is 38yrs and is separated with his wife after 1 year of marriage. He is very caring and loving. We have tried to make love but have failed because he does not reach orgasm though he can achieve an erection adequate for penetration. He says he does not have to reach orgasm to enjoy sex. There was a time in his life when he was not ready for intimacy with any woman hence he resorted to masturbation and thats when his problem which has gone on for about two year began.
I need to know:-
1. Why is he unable to reach orgasm?
2. Is it something that I am doing that's causing this or he's just that not into me?
3. Is it really possible for a man to enjoy sex without reaching orgasm?
4. How can I help him through this problem?
Answer 356 views

01 Jan 0001

Difficulties involving ejaculation are common and take many different forms. When ejaculation is problematic, not happening, or only occurring after much effort and time has taken place, it is called delayed ejaculation. Lack of or difficult ejaculation/orgasm may be a medical or psychological issue. Medical causes may include diabetes, nerve damage, vascular disease, hormonal factors, alcohol and/or other drug use, and side effects of certain medications (e.g., antidepressants) or surgical procedures (e.g., prostate or bladder surgery). Psychological causes may include mood disorders, stress, anxiety, guilt, anger, relationship difficulties, and past traumatic events.

A health care provider or urologist can evaluate you for medical causes and suggest appropriate treatment, if necessary. If there is no medical cause, then seeing a sex therapist is your next step. To find a sex therapist, call SASHA 0860 100 262.

To address your last concern, difficulty with ejaculation will not prevent you from fathering children as long as your sperm are healthy and viable. If ejaculation is problematic or impossible during sexual intercourse, as a last resort, sperm can be retrieved and inserted medically for conception to occur.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9463 votes
68% - 20185 votes