Ask an expert

23 Feb 2004

Hi, I want to know if all woman leak come after sex or is it only me that cant keep the come in? I always need a towel afterwards.
Answer 469 views

01 Jan 0001

If a man ejaculates into a woman's vagina, without using a condom, yes, semen as well as vaginal fluids trickle out. Semen is no exception to the rule, "What goes up, must come down."

Semen (the fluid that carries sperm), if ejaculated into the vagina, could either travel farther into the vagina, or seep out and eventually dry up, or both. Semen that remains in the body will carry sperm that can survive for approximately three to five days. When semen evaporates in the open air, the sperm it contains die.

We have researched long and hard to find out the exact or approximate amount of time (i.e., seconds, minutes, hours) it takes for semen to dry up once outside the body, thereby ensuring sperm are also dead. The exact time is not available since it depends on many factors, such as the surrounding environment (i.e., humidity, temperature), body temperature, consistency (if semen is spread thickly or thinly on the skin), and location (where the semen is on the body).

While it may be practical to make a dash for the bathroom, if you have sex in bed, you can let the fluids drip onto the sheets (commonly known as the "wet spot"). You can also have a soft towel nearby, which you can use to sensuously dry each other after sex. Either way, the two of you can stay where you are, allowing yourselves to enjoy one another and relax — you'll just have some extra things to add to the wash.

If you are uncomfortable with the dripping feeling after intercourse, you can use a mini-pad (typically used during menstruation) on your underwear to absorb the semen. Or, you can prevent the seeping sensation by using condoms. As an alternative to latex, you can try polyurethane female condoms for a change, or lambskin condoms (although they do not protect against STIs) as they provide a more natural sensation. Condoms can be especially useful for the times when your wife doesn't want to experience this "wetness" after having sex.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9433 votes
68% - 19970 votes