Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
12 Apr 2006
which route to go?
Hi, I am a teenager who would like to start taking better care of my body, not just to loose weight but to look and feel toned. I dont know whether I should take the good old route of exercising or should I try these new supplements which I see on TV, if I may ask, which route is the safest to go with?
Hi Kay, wanting to look good has everything to do with a healthy body and mind. Therefore I know it is imperative that you partake in some form of exercise – engage in a type of exercise that you enjoy, that way you will stick to it and have a positive effect on your energy expenditure which will help you to control your weight and not to mention the improvement it will have on your mindset.
The next step is to look into a healthy diet – that means focusing on keeping your fat intake low, yet taking in good fats (omega 3 & 6). Also eating a balance of protein and Low GI carbs at each meal and trying to incorporate six meals like this per day. This is where supplementation comes in - life is very busy thus I like to include on or two liquid meals per day and or a meal replacement bar. Working with professional athletes I daily see the value of liquid food. I would though recommend that you use a reputable company’s products – they are sometimes a bit more expensive, but believe me you get what you pay for! After all you deserve the best!
Take care and lots of luck!
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Covid then vs Covid now: The emergence of variants and how the virus has evolved
- Could following a vegan diet lead to poor bone health? Here’s what a study found
- Baby infected with coronavirus in the womb - new study
- Experts want greater transparency about delayed skin reactions some people get from Moderna vaccine
- Traditional healers in South Africa are exposed to infection, but few can get protective gear
- The big picture | ‘The loss of humanity’: South Africa and the Global South’s battle for Covid-19 vaccine justice
- What we know about the charges against former Steinhoff CEO Markus Jooste
- WATCH | 'This was the most death I've dealt with' - Cape Town doctor reflects on a year of Covid-19
- Karyn Maughan | How the WC Judge President has faced 10 major scandals, without any sanction
- Looking back at Patient Zero’s journey
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9378 votes
67% - 19421 votes