Ask an expert

19 Jan 2004

Girlfriend tried to commit suicide
My son (17) has been dating a girl he has known for some time but only recently started dating - the girl has had a crash on him for almost a year without him knowing it - she told him once they started dating. My son soon realised that the relationship won't work - due to no fault by any one of them, but they do not share the same interests, my son is an adventure guy, she likes to be at home etc. He discussed his dilemma with someone (because he still likes the girl but not to date her) and this person told his girlfriend. She ended up in the emergency room after a suicide attempt. It was very traumatic to all of us. My son is now still dating her but is very unhappy - he also feels that he must continue their relationship to keep her from trying to take her life again. He is crazy about her, but not as a girlfriend, so if they break up, he will not also end his friendship with her. Any talk in the direction of their relationship is steered into another direction by his girlfriend. He is on a big guilt trip about what happened, unhuppy about the current status and fears what will happen if he does find the courage to talk to her straight. What is the best way to solve this dilemma with a happy ending?
Answer 699 views
Teen expert
Teen health expert

01 Jan 0001

Hi Concerned Mom

The best thing is 2 contact the parents and ask them 2 take their daughter to a therapist that will help her with her problems. The girl needs time on her own that she can sort out who she is and what she wants out of life. Your son need 2 step down, because at the end of the day he will just make her more unhappy if he is unhappy and subconsciously project it on to her. I know he just wants to help but he can not make her dependent on him - she needs 2 be able to stand on her own 2 feet. He can still support her but she need to be guided by a therapist who will enable her to become a fuctional person again.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.