Ask an expert

10 Aug 2008

Loss of period after lots of exersice

im 14 years old 5ft 4in and bout 54kg.

i havent had my period properly within the last 7-8 months or so.
i started doing exersice like walking between 5-15km a day and not eating a lot, like not many carbs mainly raw vegies, porage and fruit, but still ate around 1300 calories, doing this i lost 10kg over a year (i was 60kg when i started, then got to 50kg) by this time my period was skipping and really light.. and only lasting a day if that. Then after a while my mum said i needed to eat more carbs and ppl were getting worred coz id lost 10 kg, so i started eating more carbs but as soon as i started eating carbs its like a couldnt get enough of them... so i over ate.. then because i was so worried about getting fatter i exersiced my-|-off, walked and ran round 20km then did arobic infront of the tv for round 2 a day. But i still put on a little bit of weight, then mum make me stop exersicing as much, but i found it hard to not eat so much, and even if i did eat good for a few days, if i got tired or stressed i would just binge on carbs, and i have put on around 4kg back on, and am now 54kg but im having trouble not bingeing and i also dont have my period back yet, the last time i had it it lasted 1 day and was extremly light. Im a vegatarian by the way.

what should i do? should i be worred?
Answer 425 views
Teen expert
teen expert

01 Jan 0001

Hi TJ,

the pattern you describe in terms of exercise and diet is a worry as you have described major changes in your physicality and in particular your mestrual cycle. Losing 10kg over a year is not so much a problem, but it does sound as if you are not eating a balanced diet - going from practically fasting to binge eating which will create a complete yo-yo effect in your metabolism.

In order to be healthy you need to get the balance right in terms of your diet - making sure you have the right amounts of all the different food groups. You also need to ensure that your exercise regime is not too extreme.

I strongly recommend that with your Mom you go and see your family doctor and explain what has been happening, and ask for a referral to a specialist dietician. You can also post your question to our DietDoc here at Health24, but I think you need to see a health professional face to face who can give you a thorough check-up. This is all important in terms of your long term health and physical development.

Best wishes
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9432 votes
68% - 19955 votes