Ask an expert

02 Feb 2004

hi doc. i'm a 19 year old gay guy, but straight acting. Although i'm not gay acting, i am bit sensitve. I wouldnt say i dont like contact sports, specifically, but is dont wanna engage in it, i dont know why, feel uncomfortable or something! and also other guy things!

Do you have any advice for me, what should i do to get over it, a type of therapy? I also wanna be more assertive, in that way! I've also read about something in the paper for people thats shy and not assertive and so, i think its about a type of biochemical treatment!

Answer 202 views
Teen expert
Teen health expert

01 Jan 0001

Hi Josh,

Especially if you are acting out that you are someone that you are not, it is difficult to keep to your real identity and identity confusion develops and identity problems may occur.

I would suggest that you go and speak to a psychologist that can help you with just being you. I know this sounds difficult and it sometimes is, but to keep on pretending....can become very emotional draining.

I don't know about the biochemical treatment, I would suggest psycho-therapy.

Good luck
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.