Ask an expert

08 Feb 2004

social phobia/anxiety?
Hi there doctor. Looking at your qualification it seems that you never stop studying? Don't you get back ache?? Keep it up.:)

Anyways, I'm 20, male and would like to know what causes a social phobia or what causes social anxiety??
I think I have maybe both because I never go out. I'm so afraid, I think of other people and I realise how lucky they are to go out and actually do it and have FUN!! If I go out it's just awful. I feel awkward uneasy, sweat, feel tightening of the throat and constantly have to cough. If I'm around someone I'm cnstantly thinking what they are thinking of me. Due to this, it is extremely hard to become friends with......anybody!!! I stay at home all the time and I actually long to go out and have fun and do things and experience things just like evreyone else, but I just can't and I don't know why. I'm 20 and have never had a job before, my parents get angry with me for never having one before and think I'm lazy but I really wish I could get one!! I went to Spur and saw the amount of people and was just reminded how there is no chance of me being a waiter, how will I handle it?? I will make a fool of myself. I want to go to gym and do martial arts but that's not possible. I remember when I did drumming lessons and loved playing the drums but no matter how many times I sat next my teacher and played I would always be sweating and nervous. My life sucks!!! Anything one does in life involves being around people!!
What should I do?
Answer 285 views
Teen expert
Teen health expert

01 Jan 0001

Hi Therapy

Social phobia is called agoraphobia and a direct translation is "fear of the market place" This means that you are literally to sceared to go out of your house. It sound if you have symptoms of this phobia and you should address it immediately.

It is a phobia that leads into a panick attack and is deffinitely treatable. You will need to learn how to adjust in a place where there are people. I would suggest that you go and see a psychologist that specialize in behavioural change or a hypnotherapist.

Don't worry, you can learn how to change your behaviour through cognitive restructuring.

Good Luck
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.