Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
10 Mar 2004
What is yoga - please give me more info - how can it contribute to healthy living.
Hi Noks - the Sanskrit word "yoga" means the yoking our joining or uniting of mind and body. According to a seminal work on yoga by Patanjali this is achieved by ceasing the fluctuations of the mind. Yoga incorporates a great deal of disciplines and practices but to many people is known only as Hatha (Physical) Yoga - that is your local gym, church hall or studio classes. As 3p says, though, it is a philosophy (not a religion) that is as open as the individual and therefore will mean different things for different people - for some its about getting a yoga butt, for others its an exercise regimen, for some the breathing and meditation are used for stress reduction and for still others its a spiritual path. Certainly you will become more aware of you body and for most people this leads to more health and diet consciousness and this, together with the activity and breathing leads to a healthier lifestyle. Try it out, try a few different places and definitely read more about it but the doing is the most important so start there!
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Ditch the itch – using bacteria to combat eczema flareups
- Why do lungs ‘wheeze’? Scientists tried to find out
- Covid-19 damages the heart by killing its muscle cells, study finds
- Breast cancer: Is milk a risk factor?
- An obsession with ‘likes’ on social media akin to animals seeking food rewards, new study reports
- What we know about the charges against former Steinhoff CEO Markus Jooste
- The big picture | ‘The loss of humanity’: South Africa and the Global South’s battle for Covid-19 vaccine justice
- Karyn Maughan | How the WC Judge President has faced 10 major scandals, without any sanction
- Mark Gevisser | Covid-19: One year on, and a deepening inequality
- REFLECTION | Covid-19: How the basic education dept weathered the Covid-19 storm
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9375 votes
67% - 19408 votes