Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
14 Feb 2004
Revolutionise my posture? Jo&#39;burg area?
Hi YogaDoc and all you yoga fans. I have heard that asana yoga is really good for poor posture and I wonder if you could guide me to some classes in Johannesburg (northern suburbs). I have suffered from a depressive disorder since a very young age which has had a terrible effect on my body habitus - very slouched, stomach sticks out. Tonight a very rude ignorant moron in a pub commented on it and now more than ever I am willing to get radical and improve my stance once and for all! Is it possible? I am really willing to try, PLEASE HELP.
Hey Stoop Dog - well done on taking the first step to self-improvement and remember that you are doing this for yourself - not the moron in the pub (although he might have done you a favour by instigating your actions). A key facet and benefit of yoga practice is posture and postural alignment through the flexing, rotating and extending of the spine. I know of a Bikram (Hot - heated studio) and an Ishta centre in Athol in Johannesburg. You might also get your hands on a Link Up magazine at a local health store (they are distributed free) and look for other places near you. I suggest trying a few different places, teachers and styles before settling in at a place that you feel comfortable. Don't expect overnight success but with hard work and discipline you are already well on the road to the benefits that many chiropractors and back specialists acknowledge yoga can give to posture.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Type 2 diabetes: Sitting can cause problems with blood sugar levels, so get up and move
- How quickly do we become unfit?
- Struggling to convince someone who's vaccine-hesitant to get Covid-19 jab? Try this approach
- Finding an HIV vaccine: Five lessons from the search for a Covid-19 jab
- Covid-19: Do I still need to wear a mask when vaccinated, and other questions
- Phase 2 of SA's ambitious Covid-19 vaccination drive gets under way countrywide
- If Zuma is ready to go on trial, why is he bringing another doomed case against the NPA?
- State capture: Geoff Makhubo denies his influence was bought
- Ralph Mathekga | Magashule ties ANC's hands
- Soccer teams, film crews, family bubbles - a win for charter flights during pandemic
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9476 votes
68% - 20346 votes