Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
04 Mar 2004
i am an active 39 yr old sportsperson (running, swimming, canoeing) and have naturally tight, strong muscles. Can remember never being as flexible as my friends at school, albeit faster and stronger. Would like to start yoga now, bu there is NO WAY I will ever be able to sit in a lotus position....I find attempting it extremely painful. Will I get more comfortable the more I try it, or is this the way I will always be?
Hi Louise, in my view yoga is about a great deal more than sitting in lotus - if you practice regularly you may never achieve lotus (people that force it very often experience knee injuries) but you will increase your flexibility, soothe the mind and alleviate stress as well as delivering a myriad of other benefits to yourself. Having said that you may also find that a regular and careful practice allows you to achieve lotus but I would encourage you to approach the physical practice from the stand point of developing a greater awareness of the body and just be happy with any and all improvements or changes you experience without setting finite goals. You will only be the way you are if you choose to do nothing.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Researchers looked at link between sunlight and Covid-19 deaths - what they found
- J&J Covid-19 vaccine: Are blood clots and the pausing of SA’s rollout a cause for major concern?
- 6 unhealthy eating behaviours on the rise during the Covid-19 pandemic
- The common cold might protect you from coronavirus – here’s how
- HIV and cervical cancer: Behind SA’s extraordinarily high numbers
- Solly Moeng | Profit above all: Why SA's whistleblowers are being ostracised
- WATCH | Police continue work to piece together Anele Tembe's final moments
- Zuma faces R25m legal bill after SCA blocks State funding his corruption trial costs
- Markus Jooste's son-in-law involved in R35 million suit against historic wine farm
- Judge Davis: Moyane has much to answer about the degradation of SARS
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9432 votes
68% - 19938 votes