Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
23 Jul 2006
too heavy for yoga
hello i loved doing yoga when i was around 300 lbs now i weigh 410 please tell me how i can do yoga at this weight or can i ...i cannot get on floor, i have a tape called yoga for dummies i would love to do this and get the flexability i once had...please help thank you d
Hi Donnak - the really great thing about yoga is that it delivers enormous benefits to anyone that does it- irrespective of age, physical conditioning, strength, flexibility, weight or fitness level. It is important to practice within your own parameters, making it your own - a key learning in yoga is learning to listen to your own body and to get more comfortable in your own skin. Whether you use a tape or find an understanding and experienced teacher, remember to focus on your breathing, do as much as is possible and enjoy the process of liberating the body and mind from the narrow confines of self-imposed boundaries. Yoga is about creating unity of mind and body and is certainly not defined by what others do - with discipline over a period of time you will be amazed at the benefits you unlock. Hesitate no more and just do it!
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Core strength: Why is it important and how do you maintain it?
- Trying to cut down on your meat intake? Experts suggest you should just look at it
- Fighting the flu season: Two experts answer key questions about the flu shot
- WATCH | How face masks protect you against Covid-19
- Covid-19: A potentially deadly ‘black fungus’ infection seen in patients in India
- THE ESKOM FILES | Money for jam: StefStocks, Basil Read accused of fleecing millions from Kusile 'scheme'
- State alleges Nafiz Modack manages criminal enterprise
- How the EFF wants to change the Constitution
- Bruce Cameron | What you need to know about disability assurance and mental health
- Unfriendly fire: Top cop Khehla Sitole, fired Crime Intelligence boss Peter Jacobs trade blame over Kinnear murder
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9472 votes
68% - 20304 votes