Carbon monoxide: silent, deadly

Carbon monoxide (CO) gas has caused more accidental deaths than any other poison – not just because it’s fast-acting, but because you can’t see, smell or taste it, and it’s non-irritant.

Potential sources of dangerous CO levels include car exhaust, and combustion fumes from fuel-burning appliances e.g. charcoal braai grills, camping stoves, fireplaces, gas heaters, wood and coal ovens, petrol generators and power tools.

  • Make sure you know how to use fuel-burning appliances correctly, with good ventilation, and get them professionally inspected every year.
  • Don’t use non-vented appliances indoors, or in semi-enclosed spaces. A non-vented appliance is one that does not have vents to carry smoke and toxic gases outside a building. 
  • Don’t let your car engine idle in the garage unless the garage door is open and doors leading to the house are closed. (Actuallly, avoid idling your engine anywhere.)
  • Finally, consider installing a CO detector.

(Olivia Rose-Innes, Health24, September 2011) ))))))))))))((()0})




We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
28% - 9789 votes
72% - 24595 votes