What are day-to-day limits?

What are limits?

Last updated: 27 June 2005

These are limits, either overall or in categories, which are the maximum that a member and his dependants can spend in a particular year for out-of-hospital expenses. Schemes work according to a financial year, 01 January to the end of December. These categories usually include things such as visits to the doctor, prescribed medication, glasses or contact lenses, specialists, physiotherapists and so forth.

On low-cost medical schemes these day-to-day limits are often not very high, but the hospital cover is quite sufficient. This is how that particular option within a medical scheme can afford to keep the monthly contributions low. On some options within a medical scheme, the day-to-day limits could be high, but this will then be reflected in the higher monthly contribution. If a medical scheme covers 80% of the NRPL rate of a visit to the GP, the remainder of 20% will have to be paid by the member. If the GP charges more than NRPL rate, the difference will be for the member's own account.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes
33% - 9326 votes
No
67% - 18781 votes
Vote