WOW, otherwise known as World Orphan Week is not an expression of astonishment or awe but rather, a week whereby SOS Children’s Villages South Africa seeks to make known the plight of every vulnerable, abandoned and orphaned child.
WOW 2011 will run from the 14th – 20th February 2011 and we implore you and the media, to assist SOS Children’s Villages South Africa raise awareness around the 3.8 million orphans (1.8 million of which is a direct result of the HIV/Aids pandemic) in SA. Sadly every 2.2 seconds a child becomes an orphan – help us alert the public to this horrific reality! The task is simply too great for any single government or organisation to tackle alone however together we CAN make a difference and in turn provide a loving home for EVERY child...
So, please call us today to arrange an interview for a compelling story that will reach the hearts of all South Africans...
P.S. If you or your media organisation would like to get directly involved in raising funds towards SA’s orphaned, vulnerable and abandoned children you can:
- Choose a day to dress in something ‘WOW’ to highlight the plight of orphaned and abandoned children – Wear anything from feathers, false eyelashes and bright nail polish to masks, ball gowns and top hats! Collect R5 per participant and donate the money to SOS.
- You can display WOW posters (available from SOS) on bulletin boards in your canteens, newsrooms and passageways.
- Buy a R5 WOW sticker from SOS Children’s Villages National Office (details below)
- SMS the word ‘WOW’ to 40975 to donate R5.
- Clean out your cupboards and donate old clothing, blankets and toys to a SOS Village near you (go to www.sos.org.za to view all villages).
For more information please contact:
Rae Bagus, CorporateFundraiser - Tel: +27 (11) 234 8708, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
summertime, Raksha Mahabeer (the beat)