They key is to make sure the doctor has specific expertise and knowledge in hair loss.
The most suitable doctors to assess your hair loss concerns are a dermatologist (skin specialist), hair loss clinic or a medical professional who specialises in diagnosing and treating scalp and hair disorders (trichologist).
Tips to assist your doctor
- Make a list of important personal information, especially any recent life changes or major stresses you’ve experienced;
- List all the medications including supplements/vitamins you are currently taking
- List any medical conditions you are affected by
- Jot down some questions you’d like to ask your doctor about hair loss
Questions your doctor might ask you
- When did you first begin experiencing hair loss?
- Do you lose hair continually or just occasionally?
- Have you noticed any of the following: hair breakage, shedding or poor hair growth?
- Have you lost hair overall or in patches?
- Have you found anything that seems to improve or worsen your hair loss?
- Is this the first time you have experienced hair loss or has it occurred previously?
- Is anyone in your immediate family affected by hair loss?
- What medication or supplements do your take regularly?