The most important way to prevent any disease, including peptic ulcer disease (PUD), is to maintain a healthy lifestyle, which includes the following:
- Do regular exercise (at least three times a week).
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Eat three to six small but balanced meals every day. Include lots of fibre-rich foods like fruit, vegetables and legumes in your diet.
- Get plenty of rest and sleep.
- Decrease your consumption of anti-inflammatory medicines (e.g. ibuprofen, aspirin). It may be best to eliminate these medications completely if you’re at risk of PUD.
- Don’t smoke.
- Drink alcohol only in moderation, if at all.
Reviewed by Dr Estelle Wilken, senior specialist in Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology at Tygerberg Hospital. December 2017.