8 ill after using toxic skin product

City authorities in Durban have issued a warning to customers who bought an over-the-counter skincare product after eight people were hospitalised.

The Daily News reported that officials were now looking for other customers of the ayurvedic product Skintocare, which is imported from India and available from homeopaths and health shops.

Durban officials found the product contained high levels of lead.

Most of the patients were teenage girls and taking the product in capsule form for treatment of acne and skin blemishes.

Product is toxic

“The product overall is toxic to many organs in the body, including the heart, nervous system and bones. In severe cases, after a long period of ingestion, it leads to seizures, comas and sudden death,” said Tim Houston from the eThekwini Municipality’s health unit.

Some of the consumers were tracked down by the unit, using a distribution list from the importer of the product.

Manufacturer Bacfo Pharmaceuticals has recalled the product but residual products may still be on the market.

Shops have been ordered to remove the product from shelves. People who have been using the product have been told to see their doctor immediately.

Symptoms of lead poisoning are non-specific and people could have toxic levels in their blood and not even know about it.

(The Daily News, September 2012)

Read more:

A natural approach to skin problems

 

      

 

 

 

 

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes
34% - 9250 votes
No
66% - 17780 votes
Vote