There are times of the year that work becomes an all-encompassing activity. There are deadlines, projects, presentations and budget meetings looming and you find yourself spending more and more time at the office, trying to get to everything that needs to be done.
It may be that you have workaholic tendencies, or it may just be a particulalry stressful time at the office. Whichever of the two it is, make sure that working ridiculous hours and neglecting yourself and your family do not become a part of your life.
Remember that there is a world out there that contains friends, family, pets, your home, beaches, shops and the gym. You need to create a balnce between the two, otherwise you are going to start suffering from burn-out.
So what are the signs that you need to take a break?
- Every time you see your kids properly, it looks as if they have grown.
- It is three weeks since you ate anything except canteen food and takeaways.
- You regularly come home just too late to catch the late night news bulletin.
- Friends ask you over for a braai and you turn down the invitation, because you are at the office. It is a Sunday.
- You were given a R150 gift voucher for Christmas last year and you have not been able to find the time to spend it.
- When you are at home, your mind is churning over the agenda for tomorrow’s meeting.
- The census officer finally gave up on you and assumed no one was living at the address.
- You realise that you spend more time with your assistant than with your spouse.
- If your wife were to announce that she was pregnant, you are quite sure that you cannot possibly be the father.
- You feel uncomfortable out of your formal office clothes.
- You see the weekends as quiet and productive times to be at the office.
- Your dog is starting to bark at you when you come home in the evenings.
- Your toddler learnt to say ‘Fido’ before she learnt to say ‘Daddy’
- You never give anyone your home number, because there is very little chance that the call will be answered.
- You are on first name terms with the pizza delivery man.
- Your solution for the fatigue you are feeling is to consider putting a mattress on your office floor to cut out the travelling time.
(Susan Erasmus, Health24, updated November 2011)
Click here to assess your stress