Teachers and parents often harp on about the fact that teens should say no to drugs. But, anyone who has been in the situation where you've been offered drugs, knows that it's not always easy to do something different to those around you. Here are some tips on real things you can say in a situation like that:
- Thanks, but no thanks and it's not up for discussion.
- My parents always have ways of finding out these things and then you'll be in trouble too.
- No, I'm saving all my money to buy a motorbike.
- No, I'm really not into that stuff.
- No thanks, I tried it once, hated it and threw up all over the couch.
- No thanks, I need all the brains I've got.
- No thanks, I know someone who died from that stuff and I couldn't do it to my parents.
- No thanks. I've heard it takes one's sex drive away.
- No thanks, doing illegal stuff just doesn't turn me on.
- My life's difficult enough without having to deal with this added hassle.
(Susan Erasmus, Health 24, updated June 2010)