Your new born baby has arrived but your older child is not as excited about the new arrival. How can you make it easier for your child to cope?
- Involve your child in caring for the baby and show your appreciation.
- Buy a doll and encourage your child to copy your behaviour when you are taking care of the baby.
- Make sure that your child is occupied during feeding times. Reading to your child while you are feeding is a good idea.
- Spend quality time with your child when the baby is sleeping.
- Reward positive behaviour towards the baby.
- Constantly reassure your child that you love and care about him or her.
- Make your child feel special. Praise his or her strengths, talents and accomplishments.
- Don’t feel too anxious when your child struggles to cope with the new sibling. It is normal for him or her to take a while to adapt.
- If your child refuses to go back to school, don’t force him. Allow him to stay home but make your day boring and dull.
(Ilse Pauw, Health24, 2008)