- Firstly, if the morning sickness is severe, if you are not eating or drinking well and/or you are vomiting, consult your doctor immediately. Effective medication is available to assist with the symptoms. Depending on the circumstances, one should also exclude other serious conditions, evaluate if you are taking in sufficient foods and fluids and check the condition of the baby.
- Try to still eat as well as you can under the circumstances.
- Drink plenty of water, especially if you are losing fluid through actual vomiting.
- Eat smaller meals more often. High levels of acid in an empty stomach can, in itself, increase nausea. Low blood glucose caused by insufficient food intake is also a cause of nausea. By eating something small more often, it is possible to avoid these.
- Get your partner to bring you a dry biscuit or toast while you are still on your back in bed and eat it before you get up.
This is a very exciting time for both you and your baby. So enjoy it and do not hesitate to contact your doctor if you are experiencing any troublesome symptoms.
Information supplied by Medi-Clinic.
Visit Health24’s Pregnancy Zone
Morning sickness tips
04 Jan 2021