Cutting down on the amount you smoke is obviously not ideal: giving up is the ultimate prize.
But cutting down is a whole lot better than nothing.
If you feel you’re not yet ready to quit immediately, cutting down may be a step in the right direction.
1. Analyse your habits, e.g. eating, drinking alcohol, spending time in smoky environments or with other smokers – work on changing any behaviours that encourage you to smoke.
2. Decide in advance how many cigarettes you’ll smoke the following day, and remove the rest from the pack.
3. Put off lighting your first cigarette of the day a little later each day.
4. Don’t smoke cigarettes down to the butt – smoke them only half or three-quarters.
5. Finish one pack before you buy another.
6. Don’t buy cigarettes in bulk.