Ask an expert

26 May 2020

Best treatment for scar removal?
I have these marks which were initially boils. I have had these marks on my chin before but was not so bad, but the other day I had three boils and it made the marks on my face look more standing out as before they were not noticeable. I used hot water on my boils and I think that it brought out the marks on my face. Will they fade? As they are depressing me as they look like spots or a scar when they are not a spot. How do I get rid of it? Please help.
Answer 700 views
Anti-ageing expert
Anti-ageing expert

06 Jun 2020

Thank you for the question.

This is a difficult question to answer over the net as ideally one would like to examine the marks before deciding on the best treatment options.

From your description it seems you have developed post inflammatory hyperpigmentation which is basically an excess deposit of pigment cells as a response to inflammation.

These marks can fade with time ( 6 to 12 months) but sometimes they do need treatment to make them fade.

Your most important topical product is to consider using daily sunscreen SDPF 30 or higher that must contain zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide. Our most popular SPF is from the Heliocare range.

Treatment recommendations include the following:

Topical skincare pigment lighteners

Chemical peels


Topical skincare to consider would include serums that contain vitamin C and vitamin A or retinol. Other ingredients such as kojic acid, glycolic acid, and mulberry extract can all help to improve the lightening effect.

 A good topical vitamin C serum is gloss (morning application): and a retinol-based serums is flash 2 (evening application):

There are other options including the NeoStrata Enlighten range: and the Lamelle Luminesce range:

Ultimately your best option would be to see a dermatologist who can examine the marks and from there decide on the best treatment options.

I hope the above has helped.

Kind regards

Dr Alek Nikolic

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9362 votes
67% - 19305 votes