Ask an expert

14 Feb

Squamous Cell Cacirnoma on Scalp
Large Hole aftr surgery on Husband's scalp after rmoval or tumour November 2021. 10 January 2022 for follow-up Consultation at Plastic Surgeon, about 12 new growths detected all around perimeter of Scar, Now 14 February and we went to Hospital and have another appointment for 2 March 2022 - they ran various tests which results are in the file at a State Hospital In North West. If Efudix and Biotech cream is now applied to the lesions, will it be effective as I established that Efudix does burn the skin but there is no place for an operatin scar and we are looking at radiation but surgeon is wary that the previous skingrafted scars might "pop open" it they radiate, hence my question about the use of Efudix, which might be in different strengths according to development of lesions. My hubby turn 86 in November so I am a bit concerned and the time wased between consultation at the State Hospital and the flood of patients per day, which results in hours' waiting to see the surgeon/doctor/whatever is availalbe on date of appointment. We do attend the Surgical Department when we go for consultation. His head looks totaly out of shape with the large excision done in November - Could you please give me advise - I believe that SCC might become invasive in glands? I am in the process to obtain the last 4 Pathology results availalbe from the laboratory.
Answer 50 views

17 Feb

Efudix is used for the topical treatment of superficial pre-malignant and malignant skin lesions, keratoses including senile, actinic and arsenical forms: ketoacanthoma; Bowen's disease; superficial basal-cell carcinoma. Deep, penetrating or nodular basal cell and squamous cell carcinomas do not usually respond to Efudix therapy. It should be used only as palliative therapy in such cases where no other form of treatment is possible.
It is suggested that you talk to your husbands  treating physician when you. (MCH). return for your next consultation
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
28% - 9934 votes
72% - 25927 votes