Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
Dear Doctor Hoosa. My grand daughter was born on the 26th of December 2020 (birth weight 3.9 kg) with a cleft palate. She has an hospital appointment scheduled for early February. My question is, is cleft palate hereditary? Nobody in my family or my husband's family were born with a cleft palate even on the father's side? She really struggles with feeding especially breastfeeding but she sucks very good on a bottle teat. We decided to buy bottles and teats of a well known brand and since then feeding her has become very easy. I advised her mom to either pump her breasts and then bottle feed her. I am a firm believer of breastmilk is best. The cleft palate really worries me but other than that she's perfectly healthy.
Cleft lips and palates are associated with many inherited genetic conditions.
Nowadays, cleft lips and palates can be treated very successfully- your granddaughter will be fine.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- What the latest findings on the 501Y.V2 Covid variant mean for the development of vaccines
- Covid-19 damages the heart by killing its muscle cells, study finds
- Why do lungs ‘wheeze’? Scientists tried to find out
- Ditch the itch – using bacteria to combat eczema flareups
- Breast cancer: Is milk a risk factor?
- FACT CHECK | eNCA's Lindsay Dentlinger: We analysed the video that caused racist outcry - and 24 other interviews
- Coronavirus will be with us for some time, Ramaphosa tells traditional leaders
- SAA like trying to unscramble an egg, Denel basically looted, Parliament hears
- Why Bheki Cele believes criminals' rights versus those of their victims must be revisited
- Battle of the 'two chiefs': What we know about the allegations against Eskom's De Ruyter
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9375 votes
67% - 19399 votes