Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
Diabetics likely of Covid 19 or series flu complications?
At the time in 2019 I got my annual flu shot (It will come for me in the 4th quarter) I asked Dr. Jane Pickett what complications being diabetic I would incur if I caught the flu. She told me my risks are higher I'll develop pneumonia if I come down with the flu,but she also told me I could develop pleurisy if I get the flu too! Now I'm scared about this Covid 19 as to how diabetics are affected by the disease. Does being diabetic increase my Covid 19 risk?
Diabetes doesn't increase your risk of getting covid, but if you do get Covid, then you are at higher risk of complications. Your risk does depend on a few other variables though, and things that would put you at higher risk are: 1) poor glucose control 2) complications from diabetes(previous heart attacks, strokes, circulation issues, nerve, kidney or eye problems 3) being overweight. If you have good control, no complications and your weight is reasonable, then your risk is a lot lower.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- The ‘most expensive drug in the world’, how it works and the devastating disease it treats
- Covid-19 vaccine: Large study supports third Pfizer jab for immunocompromised
- The 4-minute workout that torches fat
- Living with long Covid: ‘To this day, I’m like a walking zombie’
- Pfizer's Covid vaccine over 90% effective at keeping 12 to 18 age group out of hospital, CDC says
- EXPLAINER | Matshela Koko's alleged cooking of Eskom's books: 5 things you need to know
- THE ESKOM FILES | Over the brink: Data shows how Koko's Eskom seemingly cooked the electricity books
- Mmusi Maimane has plans to become SA's first independent candidate to contest a national election
- OPINION | Sharing financial data can help consumers save - if SA avoids other countries' mistakes
- How Deloitte plans to roll out its new hybrid working model in SA
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
30% - 9699 votes
70% - 23149 votes