Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
PPI's and calcium absorption
My medical aid does not cover osteo simply because we could not afford it, but I have read quite a bit about not absorbing calcium if a person is on PPI for stomach ailment. How can I ensure my calcium intake is sufficient and get treatment for osteoporosis as our medical aid option excludes osteo treatment. Your advice is appreciated.
Longterm PPI use can affect calcium metabolism and absorption from the gut and a calcium citrate supplement is probably the best alternative - although a calcium carbonate is ok as long as you take it with a meal and as far away from the PPI as possible (i.e after supper).
Also remember an adequate vit D intake of at least 400 - 800 IU/day.
You can also send me an email with your DXA results and I can give you a more informed answer! firstname.lastname@example.org
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Covid vaccine safety in SA: If there is a link between a death, and a recent jab, it will be probed
- Prior Covid-19 infection may not provide long-term protection against reinfection, study shows
- Covid-19: Delta variant symptoms include headache, runny nose – can feel 'more like a bad cold'
- The EVDS will schedule your appointments for the Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine 6 weeks apart. Here’s why
- Seven tips for choosing healthier drinks, and avoiding that hangover
- Covid-19: Too late to put in tighter restrictions on Gauteng - experts
- State Security Minister Dlodlo wants to smoke out information peddlers among spooks
- Mandy Wiener | We've declared war on Covid, so where is the wartime efficiency for vaccine rollout?
- Nolwandle Mthombeni | How the launch of SA's first woman-owned bank became a nightmare of bad PR
- Lining up sponsorships for The New Age was not my call – Malusi Gigaba to Zondo
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
31% - 9523 votes
69% - 20934 votes