Ask an expert

30 Aug 2020

What to do about my scoliosis?
Hello! I'm 20 and I think I have scoliosis. I haven't seen a doctor for it yet but I wanted to ask online before I do that. I first noticed that my lower ribs are slightly asymmetrical from side to side. On the left side they were further out than on the right. But it was quite difficult to see it and when I asked my parents they said that it's normal. I didn't know I have scoliosis. Fast forward 6 or 7 years and my scoliosis progressed slowly. It seems to me that I have a mild curvature but it is somehow noticeable from behind and even from the side because my right side of the upper body is slightly bigger than the left side. So what to do? As far as I know, braces are no longer a solution. And I don't like the idea of living my whole life with scoliosis even if it's not painful.
Answer 341 views
Healthy Bones
Healthy Bones

19 Oct 2020

Hi there
Your best option would be to see an orthopaedic surgeon for an opinion. If you don't have any pain or discomfort, you can try one of those elasticated vests/braces they sell to try and rectify the posture- I do however have no experience/opinion on whether they work.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9362 votes
67% - 19305 votes