Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
Nocturia problem Query
Hi I have a question which I would be grateful if you could answer. I have seen 2 urologists over the last 10 years for nocturia - urinating at night. I used to urinate up to 7 times a night but in the last few years maybe 1-3 times a night. Problem is - even once is terrible and I cannot get back to sleep. Both urologists said abnormally slow flow rate - very slow and prescribed Xatral - minimal benefit after maybe 3 weeks. Problems started at age 20 and am now 35. Has caused severe sleep deprivation for 15 years as a result of nocturia. Is there any imaging that can be done of the abdominal/bladder area (non invasive) that can detect blockages/stones etc that might be causing the slow flow rate and frequent urination? Thanks
I would start with a diagnostic cystoscopy.
This would be very helpful, and is minimally invasive.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- What the latest findings on the 501Y.V2 Covid variant mean for the development of vaccines
- Covid-19 damages the heart by killing its muscle cells, study finds
- Why do lungs ‘wheeze’? Scientists tried to find out
- Breast cancer: Is milk a risk factor?
- Ditch the itch – using bacteria to combat eczema flareups
- FACT CHECK | eNCA's Lindsay Dentlinger: We analysed the video that caused racist outcry - and 24 other interviews
- Coronavirus will be with us for some time, Ramaphosa tells traditional leaders
- SAA like trying to unscramble an egg, Denel basically looted, Parliament hears
- Why Bheki Cele believes criminals' rights versus those of their victims must be revisited
- Battle of the 'two chiefs': What we know about the allegations against Eskom's De Ruyter
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9375 votes
67% - 19399 votes