Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
I am 73-year-old, male, and in otherwise pretty good health although I do have BPH. I have been suffering from urinary urgency for about a year & a half and sometimes find myself in a potentially embarrassing situation when I'm away from home or a public toilet. A urologist I have been seeing over the past few years was not able to offer a solution although he did prescribe something about a year ago - the name escapes me now - which did not help at all. Are you able to offer some advice or suggest a medication I take to ease my stress whenever I am out & about. Thank you.
There are two different classes of medications that can be tried.
These are the anticholinergics, and a relatively new drug called Betmiga.
Should these medications not assist, then other options such as intravesical Botox, and sacral nerve stimulation can be considered.
However, obstruction due to the BPH needs to be excluded first.
I would suggest going back to your urologist, who can take you through the process.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- The ‘most expensive drug in the world’, how it works and the devastating disease it treats
- Covid-19 vaccine: Large study supports third Pfizer jab for immunocompromised
- The 4-minute workout that torches fat
- Living with long Covid: ‘To this day, I’m like a walking zombie’
- Pfizer's Covid vaccine over 90% effective at keeping 12 to 18 age group out of hospital, CDC says
- EXPLAINER | Matshela Koko's alleged cooking of Eskom's books: 5 things you need to know
- THE ESKOM FILES | Over the brink: Data shows how Koko's Eskom seemingly cooked the electricity books
- Mmusi Maimane has plans to become SA's first independent candidate to contest a national election
- OPINION | Sharing financial data can help consumers save - if SA avoids other countries' mistakes
- How Deloitte plans to roll out its new hybrid working model in SA
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
30% - 9699 votes
70% - 23147 votes