Ask an expert

24 Jun

Medical boarding
Good day My husband sustained an injury on duty (PTSD) which occurred as a result of an incident in 2012, he is employed by the SAPS. His injury on duty has already been approved by SAPS, and SAPS also lodged a claim with the Compensation Commissioner, who assessed him an gave him a favourable decision for compensation. He is now in the process of a permanent incapacity application/medical boarding process, as requested by his Psychiatrist and Psychologist. He is still very young though, only turning 45, once he is permanently boarded, we understand he will only be receiving 70 - 75% of his salary. His GEPF statement shows that if he is ill-retired, he will receive a lump sum and a monthly amount. My question is that monthly amount he will be receiving from the GEPF, will that be before or after they deduct his medical aid? And then is he allowed to work for himself or a third party in a completely different industry? He still has a good 20 years before retirement, his doctors indicated that he will be able to do something else afterwards as long as it's not in his current working condition or circumstances within the SAPS. Then, I also wanted to find out once medically boarded, is he able to make any debt? He still has car financing under his name for the next 4 years, with a balloon payment which we will probably refinance, but my concern is will he be able to take out that refinancing if medically boarded? Thanks S
Answer 928 views
Labour lawyer

25 Jun

re: Medical Boarding

Thank you for the query with regard to the medical boarding of your husband. The payment from the GEPF will be subject to the deduction of his medical aid.
He should be allowed to work for a third party in a completely different industry under certain circumstance.  This will have to be explored in terms of the terms and conditions of the boarding.
Unfortunately I don't have enough information to let you know whether the refinancing of the motor vehicle will take place.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
30% - 9699 votes
70% - 23149 votes