Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- ADHD Expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Asthma Expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Cough Expert
- Oral health expert
- Depression expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
- Oral health expert
- Sex expert
- Sinusitis Expert
24 Jul 2020
I fall asleep every time I try to meditate or pray
I fall asleep within a few minutes. I never realise what is happening until afterwards, that is, I only realise I drifted off when I wake up and then I become upset with myself. The sleep comes on instantly. How do I stop from falling asleep?
This is such a great question.
Sleep can also be a distraction, when we are either tired or stressed.
If sleep is happening then the first suggestion is to keep your eyes open when you meditate and pray, so that you don't fall asleep.
Its important that you learn how to concentrate without becoming tense.
You can choose to either concentrate on your breath or even on a specific prayer, until you can do this without loosing concentration or falling asleep.
This practice must be done regulary and consistently in order to be successful.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Covid-19: Small clinical study finds that ivermectin has potential - to decrease viral load
- Could loss of smell be the best indicator of Covid-19 infection?
- Increasing coffee consumption linked to decreased prostate cancer risk
- Body temperature scanners of limited value in detecting Covid-19, researchers say
- Oxford scientists: How we developed our Covid-19 vaccine in record time
- Ramaphosa buckles to pressure: Covid-19 grant may be extended, he tells ANC lekgotla
- Adriaan Basson | Covid-19 vaccine botch-up may spell the end of the ANC
- INFOGRAPHIC | Timeline of SA's Covid-19 vaccine acquisition efforts - and how we compare
- OPINION | Covid-19: Why South Africa needs to recruit and train a new generation of nurses
- Prof Tulio de Oliveira on SA's Covid-19 vaccine response, the new variant and what lies ahead
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9326 votes
67% - 18761 votes