Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
20 Mar 2021
I have tried to meditate but every time I try to "quieten" my mind, my mind starts working over time
That is a very common response for people who begin meditating.
What happens is that you are becoming more aware of just how busy the mind actually is.
But what can also happen is by trying to quieten the mind, you realize that you can't. Its like trying to pat ripples on a pond to make the water still.
The water will become calm by itself.
Treat your mind the same way.
Just sit down for meditation practice, and in the same way that you would allow the blades of a fan slow down by itself when you plug it out.
Just allow time for your mind to settle down.
Don't chase it.
Rather observe what it does.
Just be curious as if you were watching a scene in nature.
With open curiosity, what is the mind doing?
Don't judge it, just observe patiently.
See what happens
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- What are the pros and cons of intermittent fasting?
- Long Covid symptoms still persist two years after first wave infections
- Intermittent fasting for weight loss: Two types work, according to new review
- Exercising while sick won’t help you get over a cold faster - but it may prevent your next one
- Decades-long study finds smoking increases death risk in men with prostate cancer
- 'Come on, my darling': Bok flyhalf bloodied knuckles on door as 'terrified' air hostess hid in loo
- EXCLUSIVE | Matwetwe actor's killer arrested twice before, and showed cops fake asylum documents
- Adriaan Basson | An ominous warning to SA from Putin's enemy No. 1
- Ruan Pienaar, at 38, stays a freak of nature
- Banking Ombud cracks R19.5 million whip to force banks to protect customers more
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
28% - 9926 votes
72% - 25876 votes