Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
Constant light nose bleeds for 2 years
Hello! My nose has been bleeding everyday for the past 2 years although it is only a small amount and seems to come from the internal sides of the nose. The blood is usually fresh/red or old and has formed a crust. It also builds up overnight but continues to occur during the day. I have been prescribed an antibiotic creme that didn't help much and a steroid spray that worked well in the beginning, practically stopping the bleeding but became less effective towards the end. A different doctor said it is because of the weather although the weather has changed a lot throughout the 2 years (I live in the UK) and this has not affected the bleeding so I do not understand the link. Do you Dr. Kroukamp know what this might be or what tests I should ask for in order to discover what is causing this? I also have a frequent runny nose that runs more when I eat so it may be linked to this? Thank you for your help.
Best for an ENT to have a look. There may be an obvious bleeding point or fragile surface vein that can be cauterised. Repeating the Bactroban or Naseptin cream will help, but a nasal steroid can actually cause bleeding. A runny nose when eating is common and probably unrelated.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Core strength: Why is it important and how do you maintain it?
- Trying to cut down on your meat intake? Experts suggest you should just look at it
- WATCH | How face masks protect you against Covid-19
- Some Covid-19 'long-haulers' showing signs of fatigue, mood disorders three months after infection
- Covid-19: A potentially deadly ‘black fungus’ infection seen in patients in India
- 'It was hell' - daughter of KwaSizabantu preacher speaks out about abusive childhood
- Dominant ANC faction behind my 'unlawful, radical and premature suspension' - Ace Magashule
- ANALYSIS | Cyril Ramaphosa's fight against corruption can't be taken seriously while budgets are cut
- Massive police deployment in Western Cape crime hotspots could be costing SA millions
- Karyn Maughan | Zondo Commission cash crunch puts brakes on state capture prosecutions
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9472 votes
68% - 20298 votes