Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
Dry mouth, nasal drip and coughing
Hi, I seem to have a recurring form of Post-Nasal Drip, that brings on a dry cough and the continuous feeling that I need to swallow. Coughing does not bring up any mucus. I have also noticed that my mucus tends to be rubbery/thick/sticky and almost white in colour. At times my nose also seems difficult to breathe through, which forces me to breathe through my mouth, causing an issue with my mouth being extremely dry. I initially suspected dehydration, but I drink plenty or fluids & water daily. My next guess what allergies, but I have none of the itchiness / sneezing /etc. I am currently on chronic meds to treat Acid, GERD and Blood Pressure. I know anything of those medications could be causing the issue, but seeing as it's unavoidable and I need to take them, what would the best course of action be?
It’s possible the reflux is the cause of the throat symptoms. One usually would use an anti-reflux medication twice a day for this. With the chronic blocked nose, a trial of a nasal steroid spray is recommended and a CT scan of the nose and sinuses if this fails. Discuss the above with your doctor.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Covid vaccine safety in SA: If there is a link between a death, and a recent jab, it will be probed
- Prior Covid-19 infection may not provide long-term protection against reinfection, study shows
- Covid-19: Delta variant symptoms include headache, runny nose – can feel 'more like a bad cold'
- The EVDS will schedule your appointments for the Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine 6 weeks apart. Here’s why
- Five nutrition mistakes you make when you start exercising
- Covid-19: Too late to put in tighter restrictions on Gauteng - experts
- State Security Minister Dlodlo wants to smoke out information peddlers among spooks
- Mandy Wiener | We've declared war on Covid, so where is the wartime efficiency for vaccine rollout?
- Nolwandle Mthombeni | How the launch of SA's first woman-owned bank became a nightmare of bad PR
- Lining up sponsorships for The New Age was not my call – Malusi Gigaba to Zondo
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
31% - 9523 votes
69% - 20933 votes