Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
20 Jan 2019
Hi I want to stop smoking, I don't no where to start. I have been trying to stop smoking but trying different method of quitting I need help please.
You're already on your way - most people who successfully stop smoking use a few methods, and they fail a few times before they succeed! The key is to keep trying after you fail. Each time you try you are training yourself to change your behaviour and finally break the habit. Which methods have you tried?
A good way to start is to get rid of cigarettes and everything connected with it, like ashtrays, from your home. Make your home smoke-free. Ask any friends who smoke not to smoke around you, and avoid places where people are smoking. Try joining a support group or a stop-smoking programme, and talk to your doctor about whether medications to help you quit would be suitable in your case. Also consider nicotine gum or patches.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Hypertension, the ‘silent killer’: Top tips to help you get an accurate blood pressure reading
- The next five years: 3 likely pandemic scenarios, outlined by a panel of 20 experts
- Covid-19: Around 10% of hospitalised patients readmitted or die within 30 days - Canadian study
- Countries with lower-than-expected vaccination rates show unusually negative attitudes to vaccines on Twitter
- Imposter syndrome isn’t all bad – there’s a surprising benefit, research suggests
- Mkhize Inc: Inside minister's sprawling empire where wife sits on multimillion-rand throne
- ‘Melkbos Monster’ | It’s D-Day for embattled crèche as Hervormde Church decides its tenant’s fate
- Zweli Mkhize has had years of brushes with scandal and murder allegations - but no handcuffs
- Standard Bank ghost accounts: Staff insist wrongdoing was more widespread
- Law and Zondo: How chief justice's son wasn't pressured away from cricket ambitions
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
28% - 9934 votes
72% - 25931 votes