Using a child's car seat correctly can mean the difference between life and death. The American Academy of Paediatrics offers this safety checklist:
- Is your car seat in the back seat? Front seat airbags can be dangerous for kids.
- Is the harness snug and does it stay on your child's shoulders?
- Has your child grown too tall or reached the weight limit for the seat?
- Does the seat fit correctly in your car?
- Is the seat belt in the right place and pulled tight? Has the seat been in a crash? If so, discard it even if it looks okay.