If you've been overdoing things, your body has a way of telling you.
If you recognise any of the following symptoms, you may be suffering from the effects of stress, or overfilling your programme:
- disturbed sleep
- feelings of anxiety
- irrational and inappropriate bursts of anger and aggression
- struggling to concentrate
- increased or decreased appetite
In severe situations you could experience overwhelming stress to the point of so-called burn-out, experiencing extreme fatigue and loss of interest in normal activities.
Since research has shown that high levels of stress have a negative impact on our immune systems, and hence on our general state of health, it is not unusual for the stressed-out among us to suffer constantly from colds, or other infections or illnesses.
But stress is very much part of the modern lifestyle – traffic, interest rates, school activities and meetings, meetings, meetings. Take some time to learn a few stress management techniques such as:
- Change your diet a little.
- Ask our Natural Pain Relief expert ,or our Tai chi expert about finding a few stretches and moves that will help rid you of that feeling of tightness.
- Take some time to follow the steps of a stress management programme.
- Write in to FitnessDoc, CyberShrink or CyberDoc for any additional de-stressing advice.
(Joanne Hart, Health24, updated July 2009)