When to call a health professional about schizophrenia


Call your doctor or mental health professional without delay if you or a friend or family member exhibits behaviour that suggests loss of contact with reality, or if any other symptoms suggestive of psychosis, develop.

Where to go for help

• The South African Depression and Anxiety Group (SADAG), 0800 21 22 23 or sms 31393. Visit the website at www.sadag.org
• The South African Federation of Mental Health for support and information. Contact them on www.safmh.org.za or info@safmh.org or +27117811852
• Cape Support for Mental Health gives support to families of people affected by schizophrenia and other prolonged mental illnesses. They can be contacted at (021) 671 1573. Website: www.capesupport.org.za. E-mail: capesupport@eject.co.za.
• The Mental Health Information Centre can provide useful information about the illness and where to go for help. They can be found at www.mentalhealthsa.co.za or contact them telephonically on 021 9389229.

Reviewed by Dr Tasneem Mahomed, MBBCh (Wits), FC Psych (SA), Mmed Psych (Wits),
Psychiatrist in private practice, Cape Town. March 2015.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24